Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Days with the Homeless

Lately I've been doing a lot of hanging out with homeless people, drug addicts, alcoholics, and other individuals. I've been talking to some, playing some ping pong, and just observing. Some can scare me, others break my heart. Today I met a guy who is trying to change his life around, he said he accepted Christ, but still has problem with cocaine and alcohol. He is trying to quit but he says that when he is off of it for a while he has a hard time controlling his temper. I've also met a lady who one day bit my head off, and wanted nothing to do with anybody, and the next day acted like she was my best friend. There are quite a few people who are very messed up in this city, and need Jesus in their lives. I did not expect all the experiences and talks I had already before arriving to San Fran. Really it is hard, very hard, and very much a heart breaking, yet incredible experience. To be able to witness first hand the amazing power of God, and allowing that power to fire through me. One homeless lady asked me how do you do it? How are you a missionary, do you always know what you're doing, how do you know what to say to people. I told her this is not something that I just do on my own, but it is God's power that is working through me. I don't always know what to say or how to respond, but it's the Holy Spirit who does. There is no way that I can just go up to a drunk person, or crazy person on my own. Well I didn't say that part of it, but it's true God has given me a lot of courage that is for sure. These people can be pretty scary to approach. Yes I still have to keep somewhat of a distance, and not make it obvious but there are always others around in case somebody does snap for some reason.
This is a huge challenge, but you know I really love what I'm doing here. God has given me a lot of strength for this and endurance. I never thought in my life that I'd be doing these kind of things. If someone were to ask me a year ago would you want to go to one of the roughest areas of the city and share Jesus, I would probably have looked at them like uhhh, well and most likely just given them a look. Not saying much of anything. But thinking I really don't know if I want to get shot doing the job. Now I am in a pretty rough spot of town, but it's not the worst. It is awesome to be able to share Jesus with these people, to see the glow on their faces when they've accepted Him. When they long for that relationship, and really want to turn their lives around. Even though it hasn't been an easy road, it has certainly been the best. I will continue to do what God has called me to do, and He called me to city ministry, and I'm going to run after that call. It is an amazing and life changing experience and one that I want to continue for the rest of my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment