Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

First Days in San Francisco



I am now pretty much settled in the YWAM base of Frisco. It has been quiet since most of the staff have a few days off for New Years, and there are not students at this time, they'll be here in a couple of days.
I arrived New Year's eve, and met some people and was able to hang out with some of them and watch the fireworks over the Bay Bridge. Let me tell you, you are exposed to every kind of person you can think of in this city, on that holiday, homeless people, drunk people, homosexual, couples arguing in the streets, extreme partiers, and you name it. Right across the street from the base they have a line of homeless people hoping to have a place to sleep for the night.
It is heart breaking to see so many hurting, lost, hungry, hopless people all around me. I never realized it but I've been pretty blind to those kind of things. I mean I know they're out there all around the world, but I don't think about it everyday. Today I was eating a subway for lunch, and really I had a hard time eating it. Each bite I took I kept thinking about the hungry people. Today I saw a lady sleeping right on the sidewalk... no pillow no blanket, nothing, she just had a thin sweatshirt and pants keeping her warm. As I look all around me tears start to well up, and my heart wants to just reach out to these people, sit next to them, and be the hands and feet of Jesus. Do what Jesus would do. Share Jesus with them, and with God working through me, give them hope. Hope found only in Jesus Christ. God placed me in a challenging city, that's for sure, but He placed me here, for a reason. I believe that He wants to use me to reach out to these people, and to sit by there side, and be a friend. Something that these people don't have many of, if any.
As I look only a couple of blocks away I find myself seeing a whole different group of people. The wealthy, and those who appear to have it all. But do they? Well only God knows, but many of them are also lost and hurting people. They just have their money to hide in. Now of course I'm not saying this is true for all of them, but a lot of them. There is one of the fanciest hotels I've ever see just down the street from here. Limos and black cars with a man picking up people, gold everywhere. About 20 feet away the homeless are begging for money, and for some food to have. This city needs Jesus. I believe that God has confirmed it in more ways than one that He wants me in city ministry. God is preparing me now, and He has opened my eyes, ears, and heart to something huge. It is going to be a challenge, and rather large challenge, but if God placed me here, He will lead me here. He strength is perfect, and there is no challenge too big for Him to handle. I give this to Him, and I know that He will use me in many different ways here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment