Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

A Ministry Story

This past Friday night I went out to serve hot chocolate with a group. What we do then is talk with the people on the streets as well as serve them. We talked to a few people but it was the last one we talked to that has stuck with me. We went up to someone named Frankie. He was a nice guy who wanted to pray with us in a circle hands held. We sat on the ground next to him and prayed, all of us taking turns. After everyone in the group had gone he started to pray. He first made a loud barking sound, then said a prayer.
After we all stood up he explained to us that he is better known and dead man walking. He has terminal cancer with not much longer to live, and there is nothing the doctors can do. He said that he will be meeting his Maker real soon.
That story hit me pretty hard. I've heard so many different stories already, and all of them are pretty hard in one way or another. My heart breaks for every one of these people and it does get pretty overwhelming. It's not only the homeless, but the drug users, alcoholics, prostitutes, and so on. The list goes on and on and everybody has a story. I am amazed on how God has led me to so many people, and has given me the courage to talk to them. I love what I'm doing here, and I truly believe God wants me to continue with this ministry. I don't know where God wants me to go next, but I know He has the perfect plan, and me being in San Francisco right now is not just a coincidence. God had that planned out all along, even though I didn't know it. Just like He already has what He wants me to do next all planned out, and He has my whole future all planned out.
I believe God is teaching me something everyday here. I'm growing closer to Him each day, and am learning so much more about Him. I am truly blessed, and I am glad that I am in this ministry. Each day is a growing process and each day I have to keep my eyes and heart on Jesus. I admit sometimes it is hard to do, sometimes I just don't understand. Many times I struggle and have very hard moments. But honestly I know that God is using those moments too and I just have to keep trusting in Him. So I will keep going and waiting too. Taking each day at a time and being who God wants me to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment